cosplay with kimonos

Poor Hirotsugu...he is a big part of my life so he has no choice but to be posted (pictures and commentaries) on my blog. Without him in it, this blog wouldn't be a complete and accurate depiction of my current life! (I posted this photo despite his protests...ooO Ooo oOo)
On Saturday we met up with Hiroshi Abe (an expert in kimono and all things traditionally Japanese!) at a kimono exhibition held near Ueno. We went to check out wedding kimonos and learn a little bit more about it. The kimono I am wearing is not a wedding kimono, however, it is a fancy 'furisode' long-sleeved (reserved for unmarried women) silk one. Hirotsugu is wearing a simple kimono, a first for him. I think it rather suits him - he considered buying it but we decided to shop around a bit more. At around 800-1000 dollars a pop, it's not something you can easily buy on impulse.
The wedding kimonos, called 'uchikake' are much more ornate and even a bit tacky with gold and silver embroidery, turtles and cranes detailed all throughout the garment... just stunning! Though the whole thing is a bit overdone, it looks absolutely gorgeous when worn for a wedding! Renting such a kimono costs anywhere from 2-3500 dollars!!! That is why I am in the market for a used or vintage one for less.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home