Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Yoshino's Barber shop: movie review

Yoshino's Barber Shop is the latest Japanese movie I have seen. It won an award at some film festival (but I forget which one). It was made by the same director of Kamomeshokudo...I really like her directing. I would call her movies a bit quirky, like the Japanese version of Amelie...only slower and less of a plot, so to speak. It is a funny movie about a town in which all the boys have a bowl-like haircut due to some superstition dating back to ancient days. An outsider (transfer student) moves into their town and has shockingly light brown and fashionably-styled hair, unlike all the townies. The struggle to 'convert' him begins...

This was also incidentally the first movie I have seen in Japanese without subtitles. With some hesitation I rented it with my hsuband, but he assured me he would help out with the parts I did not understand. With the exception of some parts, I could figure out what they were saying...for the most part, Japanese children do not use complex words and this particular movie goes at a relatively slow pace.

Japanese movies often revolve around daily life and the little stories that are involved in it. More and more I tend to enjoy this over the boom-bang-BOMB of Hollywood. The thing I noticed is Hollywood gives people unrealistic expectations about life, people, and more. Without enough excitement and Hollywood style go-go-go people thing their own lives are boring. Recently I like the Japanese movie technique: celebrating the process of life as it goes on every single day!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home