Penne a la vodka...a la sake? **hiccup**
Improvisation. The secret to living in any foreign country is that and flexibility, willingness to adapt and take on all things new...which brings me on to the next topic, "penne a la sake." We are not heavy drinkers so we rarely have a stash of vodka in the house - though on any given day you can find PLENTY of beer, sake, and wine at our place. :)For lunch I made penne a la Japanese sake and boy, was it tasty. Ha ha, not to toot my own horn or anything, but it was surprisingly good! Tomato cream sauce spiked with sake...hey, what's not to like about that? Next time I will add some shiso leaves for an even more fusion taste...oh, I can see the purist Japanese chefs frowning already...**snicker, snicker**
Last night we had dinner: Japanese buckwheat noodles (soba), fish, and edamame beans...along with a heavy dose of Japanese sake from Niigata. Oh it was delicious sweet sake - why on earth sake is not more popular with Japanese mystified me...that is, until...I became really drunk off my rockers and stumbled about - my husband carried me to bed, and a long slumber until 8a.m. this morning. What a shocker...less than 1/2 a cup and I was 'out of commission' - now I see why it's not more popular than it is.
Hiro also tells me sake hangovers are the worrrst, saiiiiyakuuu. Though I drank more than usual for me, it was not enough to warrant a hangover this morning, thank goodness. UPDATE: I had a slight headache later in the morning, likely due to the sake?
Labels: fusion food, sake

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home