Monday, March 12, 2007

Hollywood hams it up

Something I never noticed before is the overdramatic acting in Hollywood. That is...until I watched the sequel to "Pirates of the Carribean" the other night. Perhaps it is because I did not watch a Hollywood movie in at least 1/2 a year, instead tuning into Japanese dramas and movies. (The movie kamome shokudou is veryyyy cute!) Another thing I noticed is how Hollywood relies heavily on over-the-top expensive special effects, which are great here and there but, a whole movie full of them?

I found the acting a bit 'fake' and noticed that perhaps I am becoming more acute in detecting emotions, much like other Asians. My friend Kelly once told me Asians seem more in tune with emotion reading and are better at it than their Western counterparts. Cultural or individual difference? Some Westerners may find Japanese movies 'pointless' or too everyday blah...but it shows one major cultural difference: Westerners see the final outcome as important whereas in Japan they see the process of getting there as equally, if not more important!

The most alarming part was, for the first time in my life, I had what I think was a 'panic attack.' My friend once told me she had one back in her university days but I had no idea what she was talking about. Now I see what she meant. The movie had a very loud, noisy, happening scene which seemed to trigger something in me...enough so that I suddenly panicked, stood up as my brain started swirling. Hiro said my face lost all colour and suddenly turned blue. What a scary moment it was!

Needless to say, I did not enjoy the sequel to "Pirates" and will definitely NOT be watching the conclusion of the "Pirates" movie series.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home