how often have you been late?
I recall once asking all my students how often they have been late for an appointment or meeting with a friend. Most students could recall a few instances where they were slow in reaching the meeting point but I had real standout: a woman who said she had never (in her 30-some-odd year life) been late for or missed a scheduled plan. I swear you could hear my jaw hitting the floor with great impact!This student told me, "Do you know how long it feels for the person to be waiting for you when you are late? Being late is a sure sign of disrespect for others. To the person who is late, that five minutes feels more like five seconds. On the other hand, to the person who is waiting that same five minutes feels more like fifty." Ever since she told me that, I have tried my best to either arrive early (or at least on time) when I meet people.
Back in our university days, being around 20 minutes late to meet a friend was no big deal. For a house party it was standard to arrive an hour or two late. (often referred ot as: 'fashionably late') In Japan people tend to arrive early for any dinner parties or drinking parties. Well, too bad no one told me this because for my first big party, to the dismay of everyone, I arrived more than one hour late. Oops.
So the good thing about living in Japan- becoming more punctual; bad thing about living in Japan - becoming less tolerable of people who are not great time managers.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home