Memoirs of a Geisha...or should I say, SAYURI? (comment 1)Memoirs of a Geisha...I saw this movie last night with my friend. Here goes my somewhat harsh review as it was definitely not what I had expected. To begin with, the title of the movie was not "Memoirs of a Geisha" - instead it was, the name of the protagonist, "Sayuri." I suppose the original title doesn't translate so beautifully in Japanese and as with many Japanese concepts; the simpler, the better. I'd read the book ages ago when it was a bestseller so the details were a bit foggy...the movie cinematography was breathtaking, however, after having watched the movie I felt 'cheated' to some extent. I am not sure why...no, let me take that back. I DO know why. The fact that the movie was done in English (apart from some scattered bits of Japanese, i.e. 'arigatou' and 'hayaku' and 'onesan') threw me off. I suppose for dramatic effect they tried to speak in very deliberate English, however, the effect was less than desirable. Throughout the entire movie I could feel how taxing it was for all of them to speak English. I was exhausted by the end of the movie - it sucked the life out of me. Even my Japanese friend commented on how unnatural the English was. Some critics mentioned the actresses retained a very Chinese accent when speaking English and I wished it was not true...alas, it was true. A few times I winced...oh no, Zhang Zi! As far authenticity goes, the scenery seemed to stay true to Japan yet the essence of the movie felt glaringly 'foreign.' It's likely that I view it with a harsher eye considering I LIVE in Japan... Also, upon retrospect and after having lived here, I realize even the book's ending was a bit contrived and very un-Japanese. Proof? The book, Memoirs of a Geisha was a bestselling HIT in America whereas it received lukewarm sales in Japan. Poor marketing or more than just that?
______________________________________________
QUOTE: "The story reinforces classical stereotypes about Asian women: that Asian women are ever-devoted and obliging to men, the 'Madame Butterfly' myth. " Sheridan Prasso, a U.S. journalist who recently wrote "The Asian Mystique," a book critical of how the West perceives Asian women, on "Memoirs of a Geisha." (AFP-Jiji)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home